How to Measure For Blinds | An Easy-to-Follow Blinds Measuring Guide
Want to give a new makeover to your windows? Choosing the right blinds or shades for a home is sometimes challenging. Some people have spent hours picking them for their home; still, they are not able to fit it perfectly. Measuring and sizing your window for custom blinds and shades doesn’t need to be a challenging and long process. Actually, it’s pretty easy; all you need to know is how to measure for blinds correctly!
To help you measure your windows for blinds, today, we’ve come up with this easy-to-follow blinds measuring guide. Here we’ve tried to explain how to measure for a variety of different blind types such as the inside mount and outside mount in step-by-step detailed instructions.
Accurate measurement of blinds will ensure a great-fitting window treatment, whereas an incorrect measurement could lead to ill-fitting blinds or messy-looking windows. So it is important to know what size blinds you need and which mount will work best for your windows. Keep on reading to learn how to measure your windows for blinds properly.
How to Measure For Blinds: Inside Mount or Outside Mount?
Before you start the process, the first thing you have to do is pick a window covering and then decide whether you want the window treatment to be installed as an inside mount or an outside mount. Yes, there are two methods to mount blinds: inside the window frame and outside it! So it’s essential to know where you want to build it.
Inside Mount Blinds
Inside mounts or blinds are always installed inside the window casing. They give a clean and more streamlined look, but they don’t provide as much light control as compared to outside mounts. Still, they are quite popular these days because of their aesthetic. They seamlessly fit inside the frame, allowing the woodwork of the window frame to remain exposed, which looks great. You can also hang draperies or other window coverings over the blinds.
Outside Mount Blinds
As the name says, Outside mount window treatments are mounted outside the window frame or casing. They’re mainly used for making the windows look wider and longer. Some people prefer outside mounts because they want to hide an unattractive window. It’s really a good option for those who want to control the outside light or just want to hide an unpleasing-shaped window.
The outside mounted blinds are a great option for you if:
- Your windows are uniquely shaped, as outside mounted blinds can work or hide almost any window type or shape.
- You’re looking for a stylish blind design. They’re the best as they provide a more dramatic appearance.
- Your windows are very shallow or have small frame depths.
So now you’ve decided what kind of window blinds you want, you can finally go ahead with the measurement process.
How To Measure For Blinds in 3 Simple Steps!
In this guide, we will explain in depth how to measure for blinds and that too for both inside mount blinds and outside mount blinds. This is a super easy project to do, and you can do it in an hour! So let’s get started.
Time Required: Under 1 hour
Tools & Materials Required
Before you start with measurements, make sure you have the right tools and resources on hand.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Steel measuring tape
- A ladder or step stool
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Paper and pencil
- Needle nose pliers or tweezers
How to Measure For Inside Mount Blinds
Measuring the inside mount blinds is a little more difficult than the outside mount blinds. Because there is less space inside the window frame, so you have to be very precise and accurate while taking the measurements. Below are the exact steps to find the depth measurement while measuring for inside mount blinds:
Step 1: Measure the Width
- We all have different types of windows and that too, in different shapes. So you should measure your windows in three places: top, middle, and bottom.
- After you’re done with the width measurements, round the narrowest of the three values down to the nearest ⅛ inch. This will be the total width of the windows for the blinds.
Step 2: Measure the Height
- The second step is to measure the height, and you should measure it in three places: left, center, and right. Make sure that you have taken all the measurements inside of the frame for inside mount blinds.
- Now just like the width, round up the highest measurement to the nearest 1/8 inch (it should be used to determine the length of the blind).
Step 3: Measure the Depth of the Window Frame
- The final step is to calculate the depth of the window frame. Many blind styles come with specific minimum depth requirements, so it is important for you to take accurate measurements.
- Carefully measure the depth between the glass and the end of the window frame.
- Keep in mind that Inside mount measurement should never be rounded up.
- If your windows are too narrow or don’t have the minimum depth requirement for the blinds, it’s better to go with outside mount blinds.
How To Measure For Outside Mount Blinds
The process of measuring the outside mount blinds is quite similar to the inside mount blinds, but you have to keep few things in mind. Here’s the two-step process for measuring for outside mount blinds:
Step 1: Measure the Width of the Window
- You can select any width of the window for the Outside mount blinds. For example, if you want, just take measurement exactly right at the edge of your window, or expand to create the illusion of bigger windows. It’s totally on you how you want to create a look or how much space you would like your blinds to cover!
- Whatever measurement you got, add at least 2-3” (1-1 ½” per side). This way, they can eliminate light and provide more privacy.
Step 2: Measure the Height Of the Window
- You can also select the outside mount blinds’ height as per your desire, similar to the width measurements. If your windows have a prominent sill, the measurement should end at the top of the sill, but if there is no sill, the length is up to you!
- There is no minimum depth measurement required for the outside mount blinds as they entirely cover the window.
- Make sure to allow extra area for the headrail and mounting brackets (which can be up to 2 1/2-inches tall).
- Also, leave some space for doorknobs, deadbolts, or molding. Use spacer blocks or extension mount brackets for these types of obstructions.
- You should always place the outside mounts at least 2 inches above the window or frame for mounting brackets on the flat surface.
Measuring Tips On How to Measure For Blinds And Shades
When you’re taking measurements for blinds, there are few key things to keep in mind:
- Before you start the measuring process, first decide whether you want an inside mount or an outside mount. If you’re still not sure, take both measurements and later pick the blinds that will be best for windows.
- Use a steel measuring tape as it is more accurate than a cloth measuring tape.
- Never round the values to a half or whole inch. Always round up the values to the nearest 1/8-inch.
- Always take the width measurement first and height last (W x H).
Measuring is Easy!
In this blog, we’ve tried to explain how to measure for blinds in easy steps. Always try to decide which type of mount will be best for your windows before ordering window treatment materials. But in the end, whether you pick the inside mount or outside mount blinds, an accurate measurement is the most crucial step.
I hope you’ve carefully read each and every step, and now you can easily take measurements for window blinds. There are a variety of blinds in various styles and finishes available in the market. These blinds will surely add an elegant and classy touch to your home. If your home has bay windows, transoms, or unique cutouts, you can always take help from professionals to measure them for you.
If you like this guide on how to measure for blinds, share it with your friends and family who need help in the same! Keep coming to Homedesignnow for more home improvement tips and ideas.
Types of Blinds to Elevate Your House Interiors in 2022
How Energy Efficient Windows Create a Thermal Envelope in Your Home
Cool Bay Window Ideas That Will Surely to Amaze You
Different Types Of Stylish Windows Designs For Your House